<< Prev Article | Next Article >>
Posted: 31/August/2007 at 7:40am | IP Logged
Author: Tom Warrick
Title:
Group: YMCA Trainer
Printable version Printable version

YMCA to Split YMCA Officials Certification into Two Levels

Effective September 1, 2007

On September 1, 2007, the YMCA of USA will move to a two level Swim Officials Certification program. 

• The new Level I Program is designed to train officials to be Stroke & Turn Judges, Relay Take-off Judges, Place Judges and Timers. 
  • The new Level II Program is designed to train officials to take on the roles of Referee, Starter and Chief Judge

Current YMCA officials will be grandfathered into YMCA Level II officials.  Current YMCA officials who are coming up to the end of their certification period will take the Level II course and use a shorter Level II recertification test

Certification will remain at 3 years, but each level will be required to officiate at least 12 sessions within the three years (Up to six USA sessions will count for those officials that are dual certified).  

New officials (who are not USA certified) are required to start at Level I.  They can move to level II certification after 1 year and a minimum of 8 worked sessions. 

USA-S Certified Officials who meet the age and participation requirements for Level II may go directly into Level II without first becoming a Level I Certified Official.  They would take the Level II Certification Test.

A list of upcoming Officials classes can be found at www.ymcacompetitiveswim.org - left hand menu, menu option Official Classes under For YMCA Officials or by following this link: Classes  If you are looking for a class in your area, visit the web site frequently, since classes are updated regularly as the instructors schedule their training.

New Class Descriptions

YMCA Swim Official I
AQ332I
Number of hours: 4
Manual: USA-Swimming Rules and Regulations, current edition available from USA Swimming, 1 Olympic Plaza, Colorado Springs, CO 80909; or visit the web:
www.usaswimming.org 

This course is designed to certify Swim Officials for YMCA Competitive Swimming in the areas of Stroke and Turn Judge, Relay Take-off Judge, Place Judge and Timer. The course focuses on the specific duties and responsibilities of the above officials prior to, during and after a Swim Meet.  The course also reviews the facilities requirements for a meet, swimmer eligibility, and the roles of Chief Judge, Starter, and Referee. 

Successful completion of a written examination/Online test is required for certification. 

Expiration date: Three years
Prerequisites:
• Minimum age 21
• Associated with a YMCA sponsored Swim Team
Bring: Proof of age and registration form signed by local YMCA Executive Director or his/her designee

YMCA Swim Official II
AQ333I
Number of hours: 4
Manual: USA-Swimming Rules and Regulations, current edition available from USA Swimming, 1 Olympic Plaza, Colorado Springs, CO 80909; or visit the web: www.usaswimming.org 

This course is designed to certify Swim Officials for YMCA Competitive Swimming in the areas of Referee, Starter and Chief Judge.  The course focuses on the specific duties and responsibilities of the above officials prior to, during and after a Swim Meet.  The course also reviews the facilities and staffing requirements for a meet, rules for swimming various strokes, matters relating to eligibility and other key roles of the official.

Successful completion of a written examination/Online Test is required for certification. 

Expiration date: Three years
Prerequisites:
• Certified YMCA Swim Official for at least one year
• Officiate a minimum of 8 sessions as a certified YMCA Swim Official
• Minimum age 21
• Associated with a YMCA sponsored Swim Team
Bring: Proof of age, Meet Verification Forms and Registration Form signed by local YMCA Executive Director or his/her designee

Edited by administrator on 21/June/2016 at 4:56am

<< Prev Article Information for YMCA Swim Official Next Article >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Printable version Printable version

This page was generated in 0.0938 seconds.

Copyright© 2001-2018  YMCA Swimming. All rights reserved.
Site is best viewed at 1024x768